Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Incomers

'The Incomers' at the Bike Shed Theatre

I loved it.

The Incomers is a story of sex, drugs, and perfectly seared scallops. Throughout a wedding anniversary dinner party we see the at first sensible-seeming characters fall apart as a French woman (and a fair amount of cocaine) cause them to examine their lives and secrets.

The language is poetic without it feeling like one very long poem and the acting is brilliant. There's also some very funny and clever use of music and lighting.

Recommended to anyone with a slightly dark sense of humour.

****

A side note on audience dynamics. I can't say I usually much notice what my fellow audience members are up to during a play. But for this performance about 80% of the seats were occupied by high school students, and it made a strange difference. They laughed at different parts than I did, and some of them audibly cringed when the actors took their clothes off. They may have been old enough for the play (I'd say they were all around 15/16) but they didn't seem mature enough, and it made the atmosphere a bit tense.

No comments:

Post a Comment